Summer Youth Corps participants will add value to themselves, their community, and the environment through their dedicated service. Corps members will participate in a rigorous program of work, education and training and will complete environmental restoration projects in this residential program. The member is responsible for following all rules and guidelines and adding positively to their team.
Program dates, schedule and compensation
Youth Peer Mentors (YPMs) will visit, conduct evaluation for, and support 2 first-year crews for a part of the summer to serve as a role model for the youth crew members. They will also conduct evaluation of the program to determine areas of strength and need for growth to improve the program.
Program Dates: Wednesday, July 5 – Sunday, August 12, 2023
Location: Base camp is at St. Croix State Park (15 miles east of Hinckley, MN) and crews will travel to complete projects across MN and neighboring states.
Our program invests in building a community that values being present; therefore, we do not allow youth to bring electronics into the program (including cell phone, music players, etc.) We want youth to connect with other people in the program and enjoy the places you travel to and work in throughout the summer. Youth will have an opportunity to call home once a week using a crew cell phone. Additionally, the following is not an exhaustive list of our guidelines but outlines policies that if breached will be addressed directly by staff and may be means for immediate dismissal.
- No tobacco products during your entire summer with Conservation Corps. This includes both possession and use.
- No consumption or possession of beer or liquor. This includes in camp or on spike or during other Conservation Corps related activities, at any time.
- No drugs. This includes both possession and use, other than for medical purposes.
- No harassment. This includes verbal, sexual, racial, and physical harassment.
- No fighting.
- No firearms or weapons.
- No gambling of any kind.
- No vandalism or theft. This includes state and private property.
- No activity that is sexual in nature.
- Desire and ability to work hard in an outdoors setting.
- Desire to work with peers in conservation, education and recreation settings.
- Ability to camp and live outdoors for extended periods of time.
- Ability to practice strong work habits, environmental ethics and team unity.
- Positive attitude, interest in service and community work and desire to make a difference.
- Previous experience is not required; 15-20% of program is dedicated to technical and personal-skill training.
- Previous experience in a Youth Corps is required
- Must be 15-18 years old on session start date. Due to child labor laws, no exceptions can be made.
Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ people, Deaf/Hard-of-hearing, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
CCMI requires all employees and AmeriCorps members to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 OR submit a medical or religious exemption request.
Deadline: May 1, 2023
Priority Deadline: March 31 - apply early, applications are reviewed as received.
View the full Position Description.
Questions? Contact Jillian Gellman at firstname.lastname@example.org