Youth Outdoors crew members (ages 15-18) add value to their communities, the environment and themselves through their dedicated service. Crew members participate in a rigorous program of work, education and training and complete environmental restoration projects within the Twin Cities area. Projects may include brush hauling, rain garden installation, seed collection, wildlife habitat construction and leading volunteers. Crew members will also plan, create and carry out a youth-led service project that includes and educates local community members on an environmental topic of the crew’s choice. All work projects are completed outside, even during hot or cold weather and in rain (except in unsafe conditions such as lightning).
Program dates, schedule and compensation
Recreation Center Locations:
- Program dates: September 10 – November 14, 2019
- Schedule: 5-12 hours/week. There will be no work on three of the Saturdays during the program.
- Saint Paul and Ramsey County Recreation Centers: Tuesday 3:30-5:30 p.m.; Thursday 3:30-6:30 p.m.; Saturday 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Minneapolis Recreation Centers: Tuesday 3:45-5:45 p.m.; Thursday 3:45-6:45 p.m.; Saturday 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Compensation: $9.86/hour
- Minneapolis: North Commons, Powderhorn
- St. Paul: El Rio Vista, Phalen, Hazel, North Dale, West Minnehaha
- Ramsey County: North St. Paul, Roseville/Shoreview
- Dakota County: Wentworth Library
- Desire and ability to work hard outdoors.
- Desire to work with peers in conservation, education and recreation settings.
- Ability to practice strong work habits, environmental ethics and team unity.
- Positive attitude, interest in service and community work and desire to make a difference.
- Previous experience is not required; 15-20% of program is dedicated to technical and personal-skill training.
This program is available to all, without regard to disability, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or political affiliation. The Conservation Corps engages AmeriCorps members, ages 18-25, as defined under the American Conservation and Youth Service Corps Act, a subtitle of the National and Community Service Act of 1990. Reasonable accommodations provided upon request.
- Must be 15-18 years old on program start date. Due to child labor laws, no exceptions can be made.
: September 6, 2019
Please apply early. For more information, view the Youth Crew Member