Conservation Corps Minnesota & Iowa is hiring five AmeriCorps DNR Specialists (ages 18-25) positions based in Saint Paul. Specialists will work in one of the following areas: Web and Social Media, Planning, Volunteer and Site Stewardship, Urban Outreach, or Youth Outreach. Corpsmembers work alongside natural resource professionals to build their skillset and complete conservation projects.
This is a full-time commitment for a year-long AmeriCorps service term. The member will receive a monthly stipend and an education award upon successful completion of the term that may be used for education expenses or to repay qualified student loans.
Term dates and schedule:
- Term: January 16-December 13, 2019
- Schedule: Full-time, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. typical
Stipend and award:
- Monthly stipend: $1990
- Education award: $5920 upon successful completion of term
Location: Housing is not provided by the Corps. Specialist must secure their own housing near service location.
Job Summary, Description and Qualifications: Below is a summary of each Specialist position. To view a full job description, including position-specific qualifications, please click on the Specialist title.
Web and Social Media Specialist – SNA/NPB
- Develop and implement social media initiatives
- Maintain and improve web content for the DNR website
- Assist in written communications for the Scientific and Natural Area (SNA) and Native Prairie Bank (NPB) Outreach Initiatives
- Help develop Parks and Trails Division strategic plans, program plans, system plans, unit plans, environmental review documents, legislative studies, and research
- Assist with the Public Water Access Program and other projects directed to fulfill the Parks and Trails Division vision, Department of Natural Resources mission, statutory mandates, and to advance the division’s goals
- Assist in the development and presentation of materials that could be used to provide education and training for Corps crews throughout the state
Volunteer and Site Steward Specialist
- Assist with sustaining a network of Scientific and Natural Areas (SNA) volunteer site stewards and other volunteers
- Evaluate SNA site steward program (recruitment, enrollment, designing positions, supervising, recognizing and retaining these volunteers) and make suggestions for improvements
- Assist with organizing/advertising of SNA events (volunteer stewardship projects, educational events, etc.)
Urban Outreach Specialist
- Recruiting, training and scheduling volunteers for adventure stations
- Provide outdoor recreation trip planning guidance to customers and visitors to REI’s Bloomington store and The Loppet Foundation’s Trailhead
- Track logistics and materials, assist with other tasks related to operation of adventure stations
Youth Outreach Specialist
- Strategize, support, and implement ways to include youth in decision-making processes regarding use of the Parks and Trails Legacy Funds.
- Support efforts of the Parks and Trails Legacy Advisory Committee to advance the 25-year Parks and Trails Legacy Plan.
- Provide logistical support and work product preparation for the Parks and Trails Legacy Advisory Committee’s meetings.
- 18-25 years old.
- Must be a US Citizen, US National or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the US.
- Must pass the National Sex Offender Public Registry and criminal history check. “Pass” is defined as no positive hits on the NSOPR and no history of violent offenses on the criminal history check.
- Full term of service must be completed in order to receive the education award.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and safe driving record (no major moving violations or DUI’s in the past five years).
- Monthly stipend
- Education award upon successful completion of term
- Skills training and job experience
- Health insurance
- Student loan forbearance during service term
This program is available to all, without regard to disability, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or political affiliation. The Conservation Corps engages AmeriCorps members, ages 18-25, as defined under the American Conservation and Youth Service Corps Act, a subtitle of the National and Community Service Act of 1990. Reasonable accommodations provided upon request.
Deadline: October 5, 2018
Questions? Contact Megan Zeiher, Recruitment Coordinator
email@example.com or 651-209-9900 x35