The AmeriCorps Visitor Services Corpsmember (ages 18-25) will work with conservation professionals in the U.S Fish & Wildlife Service and dedicated volunteers to provide relevant meaningful public education (interpretive) programs and media for visitors to Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. Minnesota Valley NWR staff provide guidance in order to fulfill the refuge mission of “restoration and management of the ecological communities of the Lower Minnesota River valley while providing quality recreation and environmental education.” The service activities will be completed under the guidance of Minnesota Valley NWR staff.
Term dates and schedule:
- Term: January 9, 2018 – December 14, 2018
- Typical schedule (evening/weekend hours outside of normal hours may be required at any time of year):
- Spring and Fall: Wednesday-Sunday, 40 hours per week, 8:00am – 4:30pm
- Summer: Monday-Friday, 40 hours per week, 8:00am-4:30pm
Stipend and award:
- Monthly stipend: $1690
- Education award: $5815 upon successful completion of term
Location: Housing is not provided by the Corps. Member must secure their own housing near service location.
- Positive attitude and strong commitment to service and community work.
- Experience working with the public in outdoor settings.
- Ability to work independently and in groups.
- Strong written and oral communication skills as well as strong organizational and word processing skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) desired.
- Digital photography, editing and video creation experience desired.
- Experience with social media marketing (websites, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) desired.
- Experience communicating and working with diverse community members.
- Flexibility to work independently and with others in a team setting.
- Relevant coursework in environmental education, English, journalism, public relations, communications or related field of study and/or equivalent professional experience. Positive attitude and strong commitment to service and community work.
- Ability to communicate in more than one language is preferred, but not required.
- Previous experience or education with natural resource management or social media is not required; 15-20% of the service term is dedicated to technical and personal-skills training.
- 18-25 years old.
- Must be a US Citizen, US National or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the US.
- Must pass the National Sex Offender Public Registry and criminal history check. “Pass” is defined as no positive hits on the NSOPR and no history of violent offenses on the criminal history check.
- Full term of service must be completed in order to receive the education award.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and safe driving record (no major moving violations or DUI’s in the past five years).
- Monthly stipend
- Education award upon successful completion of term
- Skills training and job experience
- Health insurance
- Student loan forbearance during service term
This program is available to all, without regard to disability, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or political affiliation. The Conservation Corps engages AmeriCorps members, ages 18-25, as defined under the American Conservation and Youth Service Corps Act, a subtitle of the National and Community Service Act of 1990. Reasonable accommodations provided upon request.
Deadline: November 3, 2017
Apply online: http://www.conservationcorps.org/apply
Questions? Contact Megan Zeiher, Recruitment Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-209-9900 x35